Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Magellan Hits the Mississippi Delta" part 2


DATE: 12/16/2010
LOCATION:  BDDC
TEMPERATURE: Cold - 31 degrees
WEATHER: North wind and cold
KILLS: 5 shovelers and 1 scaup
FRIENDS: Jody Acosta and retriever "Buck"

This was a great afternoon hunt over Magellan, with me and Buck taking a badly needed afternoon of personal reflection.  The shovelers were flying, and I was done with the hunt in no time.  The sunset was a nice one, and I elected to just sit on the tailgate with Buck watching the shovelers and other "pond" ducks buzz around.  It was a great end to a great day.

MAGELLAN WAS THE ONLY DECOY I PUT OUT!

DATE: 12/18/2010
LOCATION: Mallard Manor
TEMPERATURE: 25 degrees
WEATHER: North wind and cold
KILLS: 2 Greenheads, 2 Pintails, 3 Shovelers, 1 GW Teal
FRIENDS: Joseph Gorman, Jeff Dettelbach, Collin Atwell, Garrett Hawkins, Blake Hawkins, Jacob Rushing, Shelton Tillery
GUIDE: Jody Acosta

 Buck making a fine retrieve

What an awesome morning to hunt.  No, we didn't kill a full limit of ducks, we didn't even shoot that many birds, but I feel truly blessed to be able to say I was part of a hunt where 3 kids killed their first ducks.  Blake, Garrett, and Jacob all killed their first ducks over Magellan.  Buck did a great job of retrieving, and fun was had by all.

The kids thought Magellan was "too cool".  One of the counselors also had heard about him, and told me he was honored to hunt over Magellan!  Overall it was a great hunt, and I know I made some life long friends.

Hopefully, they will take me hunting when I'm an old man.

"Thank you Lord for the friends I made this weekend, the experiences we shared, and the safe travels for them all returning home.  Amen!"



 
Author Jody Acosta and his dog Buck, sharing a quiet moment

BIG THANKS go out to Jody and his documenation of four fine hunts shared with great friends!

Check back soon as Magellan heads down (or up, as the case may be) on more exciting hunts!

No comments: